Re: Riad scrub generated errors, should I worry?

On Mon 02 Mar 2015 04:22:00 PM Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Mar 2015, Wilson, Jonathan wrote:
> > While the monthly scrub was running the following errors (at the bottom
> > of the post, copied from syslog) were issued.
>
> As soon as you get UNC, it's the drive reporting that it can't
> successfully read a sector. Usually this sector is then reported as
> "pending" in your SMART output.
>
> Since the log you provided shows a lot of sectors being corrected and you
> after that have 0 pending sectors on the drive, I'd say you are now fine.
> I would run a new scrub manually in a few days just to check, but you
> might be fine going forward. There is no really good way to know, but
> generally, a drive that throws a bunch of UNC should be monitored so this
> isn't becoming a common problem. I tend to replace drives that have thrown
> these kinds of errors if it happens on any kind of regular basis.

Dumb question, but after pending, I assume they go into the reallocated
column? I think after a certain number of those, you should start thinking
about a replacement. Like with my recent issues, I had two drives with a few
too many reallocated sectors. One was over 16k and the other was over 32k.
They still "work", but I replaced them with WD Reds anyhow. Another drive
seemed to max out the start-stop count field at 65536. Hah. No more cheap
desktop seagates in raid for this fellow.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx