Good drive got kicked out - does mdadm assemble across suspend/resume like it does across reboots?

I did a minor booboo with my mdadm raid6. I suspended (not shutdown, but suspend-to-ram) the machine to install a *new* disk in a hotswap bay for a thorough test before usage. This machine also housed a mdadm raid6 array with 4 disks /dev/sd[cdeg]1 (not /dev/sdf1). When I inserted the new disk, I also rearranged the disks in the hotswap cage. I think that is a stupid mistake because /dev/sdg1 was also in the cage and now became /dev/sdf1 and the new disk got the name /dev/sdg1. I did not think much about it, since I thought mdadm would assemble after a resume and will find the right disks. I did not bother to check if anything happened to /dev/md0.

After checking the new disk (now /dev/sdg1) I added /dev/sdg1 to md0 (as spare) without checking /proc/mdstat. I noticed rebuild started to my surprise. I was trying to figure out what happened. It looks like resume after suspend does not assemble md0 as it does for reboot. So, it looked at the new /dev/sdg1 and found to be not part of md0 and degraded the array. So when I added it, it thought I am adding a new drive and proceeded to rebuild to fix the degraded state. A quick check of /dev/sdf1 (which was /dev/sdg1 before my swap) contains everything right, but got kicked out of array due to suspend-swap disk-resume issue.

While this is not a disaster, I wonder if my understanding is correct? Does this mean mdadm does not scan to assemble as part of resume? More importantly, how should I rectify the situation like this? Reboot or simply stop md0 and scan in a live system? Further, how do I use /dev/sdf1 (that was /dev/sdg1 before this problem)? zero-superblock and add back to md0?

Sorry, if this was already discussed. If so, just let me know and I will search the archive manually as Google did not find it.

Thanks for your help
Ramesh