Re: Sleepy drives and MD RAID 6

My LSI SAS controller (SAS2008) is newer and may behave differently but
I guessing this is your problem.

I've been very happy with my HighPoint controllers (difficult to say in
public). I have an 8 port Rocket 2720SGL ($150) and a 16 port RocketRaid
2740 ($400+) . Both have worked flawlessly and performance has been
excellent. The 16 port card actually has two 8 port controllers on it
bridged together. I think you're better off with 2 8 port cards.

The 8 port RocketRaid 2680 is slower (3Gb/s) but should be fine for
spinning rust and is about $100. I don't have any experience with those.
I found one on ebay for $45 so there may be some good deals on that one
since it's a generation older.

--Larkin