Re: Sleepy drives and MD RAID 6

On Tue, 2014-08-12 at 07:55 +0200, Can Jeuleers wrote:
> On 08/12/2014 03:21 AM, Larkin Lowrey wrote:
> > Also, leaving spin-up to the controller is
> > also not so hot since some controllers spin-up the drives sequentially
> > rather than in parallel.
>
> Sequential spin-up is a feature to some, because it avoids large power
> spikes.

I vaguely recall older drives had a jumper to set a delayed spin up so
they stayed in a low power (possibly un-spun up) mode when power was
applied and only woke up when a command was received (I think any
command, not a specific "wake up" one).

Also as mentioned some controllers may also only wake drives one after
the other, likewise mdriad does not care about the underlying
hardware/driver stack, only that it eventually responds, and even then I
believe it will happily wait till the end of time if no response or
error is propagated up the stack; hence the time out in scsi_device
stack not in the mdraid.