Re: Sleepy drives and MD RAID 6

Thank you all for the input.  At this point I think I am going to
write a simple daemon to do dm power management. I still think this
would be a good feature set to roll into the driver stack, or
madam-tools.

As far as wear and tear on the disks. Yes, starting and stopping the
drives shortens their life span. I don't trust my disks, regardless of
starting/stopping, that is why I run RAID 6. Lets say I use my NAS
with it's 7 disks for 2 hours a day, 7 days a week @ 10 watts per
drive.  The current price for power in my area is $0.11 per
kilowatt-hour. That comes out to be $5.62 per year to run my drives
for 2 hours, daily.  But if I run my drives 24/7 it would cost me
$67.45/year.  Basically it would cost me an extra $61.83/year to run
the drives 24/7.  The 2TB 5400RPM SATA drives I have been picking up
from local surplus, or auction websites are costing me $40~$50,
including shipping and tax.  In other words I could buy a new disk
every 8~10 months to replace failures and it would be the same cost.
Drives don't fail that fast, even if I was start/stopping them 10
times daily. This is also completely ignoring the fact that drive
prices are failing.  Sorry to disappoint, but I am going to spin down
my array and save some money.