Re: Problem Syncing raid1

On Fri, 4 Apr 2014, Scott D'Vileskis wrote:

I apologize if my relatively simplistic summary of what may actually
be happening left out the detail of pending sectors. In my
understanding, during a SMART self test, if a problem is encountered
and can be dealt with, it can probably handle the transition through
pending sectors, without the user ever witnessing the pending sector
count increase.
How else does one explain increases in reallocated sector counts
following a long self test?

I don't know, I have never seen this behavior. It might very well be that different vendors use different methods for the different scenarios. I would love to be able to talk to someone who actually works for a HDD manufacturer and has real first hand knowledge how things work, instead of what I usually see here (including myself) which is people trying to poke the black box and trying to figure out what might be going on inside from the scarce diagnostic tools available.

Personally I've never seen a pending sector go away without writing to it. Sometimes this write results in the reallocated count going up, sometimes it doesn't.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx