Re: Why 4k native drives haven't arrived

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 12:04:53 -0700
Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Chris> I think this is a pretty craptastic thing for a vendor to do to
> > Chris> users. It doesn't matter that the overwhelming majority will buy
> > Chris> the product as a unit, and never remove it. It means some users
> > Chris> will need esoteric knowledge to recover their own data, a
> > Chris> recovery from data loss that's induced by ill conceived product
> > Chris> behavior.
> >
> > Removing the physical drive from the USB enclosure is getting pretty far
> > away from "intended purpose".
>
> It's common enough that it's predictable that a significant minority users will get into trouble with a product of this type. That even Mac users are pulling drives out of enclosures, for reasons other than troubleshooting, further demonstrates that it's not at all uncommon practice.

From what I remember reading about these drives, some of the newer ones are
just USB-only. There is no "enclosure" to speak of, that you could remove and
then simply plug the drive into SATA. It may be still possible, but certainly
not easy:
http://www.datarecoverytools.co.uk/2010/05/05/how-to-connect-and-recover-usb-only-western-digital-drives-with-hd-doctor-suite/

It does make sense for the manufacturers to roll-out these lesser-compatible
features on such USB-only drives first. Another instance where that was the
case, is the first 3 TB drives. They can manufacture and sell those with
confidence, knowing that no one will try to use the drive plugged directly into
their Windows XP PC with a 10-year-old BIOS.

--
With respect,
Roman