Re: Triple parity and beyond

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 21:46:50 -0600 Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On 11/22/2013 5:07 PM, NeilBrown wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 16:57:48 -0600 Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:

> >> You're looking at today.  We're discussing tomorrow's needs.  Today's
> >> 6TB 3.5" drives have sustained average throughput of ~175MB/s.
> >> Tomorrow's 20TB drives will be lucky to do 300MB/s.  As I said
> >> previously, at that rate a straight disk-disk copy of a 20TB drive takes
> >> 18.6 hours.  This is what you get with RAID1/10/51.  In the real world,
> >> rebuilding a failed drive in a 3P array of say 8 of these disks will
> >> likely take at least 3 times as long, 2 days 6 hours minimum, probably
> >> more.  This may be perfectly acceptable to some, but probably not to all.
> >
> > Could you explain your logic here?  Why do you think rebuilding parity
> > will take 3 times as long as rebuilding a copy?  Can you measure that sort of
> > difference today?
>
> I've not performed head-to-head timed rebuild tests of mirror vs parity
> RAIDs.  I'm making the elapsed guess for parity RAIDs based on posts
> here over the past ~3 years, in which many users reported 16-24+ hour
> rebuild times for their fairly wide (12-16 1-2TB drive) RAID6 arrays.

I guess with that many drives you could hit PCI bus throughput limits.

A 16-lane PCIe 4.0 could just about give 100MB/s to each of 16 devices.  So
you would really need top-end hardware to keep all of 16 drives busy in a
recovery.
So yes: rebuilding a drive in a 16-drive RAID6+ would be slower than in e.g.
a 20 drive RAID10.

> This is likely due to their chosen rebuild priority and concurrent user
> load during rebuild.  Since this seems to be the norm, instead of giving
> 100% to the rebuild, I thought it prudent to take this into account,
> instead of the theoretical minimum rebuild time.
>
> > Presumably when we have 20TB drives we will also have more cores and quite
> > possibly dedicated co-processors which will make the CPU load less
> > significant.
>
> But (when) will we have the code to fully take advantage of these?  It's
> nearly 2014 and we still don't have a working threaded write model for
> levels 5/6/10, though maybe soon.  Multi-core mainstream x86 CPUs have
> been around for 8 years now, SMP and ccNUMA systems even longer.  So the
> need has been there for a while.

I think we might have that multi-threading now - not sure exactly what is
enabled by default though.

I think it requires more than "need" - it requires "demand".  i.e. people
repeatedly expressing the need.  We certainly have had that for a while, but
not a very long while

> I'm strictly making an observation (possibly not fully accurate) here.
> I am not casting stones.  I'm not a programmer and am thus unable to
> contribute code, only ideas and troubleshooting assistance for fellow
> users.  Ergo I have no right/standing to complain about the rate of
> feature progress.  I know that everyone hacking md is making the most of
> the time they have available.  So again, not a complaint, just an
> observation.

Understood - and thanks for your observation.

NeilBrown