Re: Triple parity and beyond

On 11/19/2013 12:28 PM, Andrea Mazzoleni wrote:
Hi Peter,

Yes, 251 disks for 6 parity.

To build a NxM Cauchy matrix you need to pick N+M distinct values
in the GF(2^8) and we have only 2^8 == 256 available.
This means that for every row we add for an extra parity level, we
have to remove one of the disk columns.

Note that in true, I use an Extended Cauchy matrix that gives the
first row of 1 for "free". This results in N+M <= 256+1.
So, DISKS = 257 - PARITY -> 251 = 257 - 6

A brief introduction of Cauchy and Extended Cauchy matrix can be found in:

Vinocha, "On Generator Cauchy Matrices of GDRS/GTRS Codes", 2012
http://www.m-hikari.com/ijcms/ijcms-2012/45-48-2012/brarIJCMS45-48-2012.pdf
(just check the Introduction, the rest is not related)

More details can be found in:

Roth, "Introduction to Coding Theory", 2006
http://carlossicoli.free.fr/R/Roth_R.-Introduction_to_coding_theory-Cambridge_University_Press%282006%29.pdf
(search for "Extended Cauchy")

Ciao,
Andrea

Great work - we have waited a long time for this. Adding in Jim Plank who did some great talks and work in this area as well :)

Ric