Re: mdadm: /dev/md0 has been started with 1 drive (out of 2).

>> When you say force the array, does it translate to a different set of commands than what you showed in the very first reply? What would be those? I'm just curious to see how these things are done when managing the arrays, and examples help a lot!
>
> Yes, there are other ways (which I've never used, just seen people on
> this list talk about them) that will force the event count on the older
> device up to the newer one, and then md will accept both drives as being
> up to date etc. Effectively it just lies and pretends that the data is
> correct, forcing the metadata (MD data) to match, but the actual user
> data (complete content of the drives) may not match and is not checked.
>
> I won't provide advise on this because I've never done it…

Hm, makes one wonder what the advantage of this approach is then. It sounds like either of two options let one get access to data immediately, whether they choose to force even count and proceed with recovery or assemble an array and start a resync. I mean, what is it that makes this strategy worthwhile pursuing then? Even offloading data to a separate disk, in case of raid levels that offer data redundancy capability seems unnecessary, as an array disk mirror serve essentially the same purpose.

> BTW, you haven't mentioned what data is actually on the array (if any),
> what you are using it for, or how you got into this state.

Just a personal file storage, some iso images, pictures, music, videos, system backups, virtual machine disk images as well, seeding some torrents and such. Multipurpose, yeah.
The usage pattern is of that occasional heavy writing when making backups (typically once a week) or copying iso images/video (when needed), and more frequent reads of average i/o intensity.

> Depending on your array usage, you may or may not want to use bitmaps,
> and there might be other performance options to tune.

Mind you, this is a raid1 made out of two external USB 3.0 drives connected to USB 2.0 ports. So, the throughput is not terribly impressive, but I've been working with this configuration using a single disk for a while now and it proved sufficient and stable for my needs. The raid that I've put together some 4-5 days ago is a lazy approach to backups/countermeasure against disk failures. I've had a drive die in my hands shortly before I assembled the array, and I figured it was silly not to have a raid1 in place which clearly could have saved me some pain of extracting most important bits of the data from various places (just other disks I have.. it just happens I have a few around) that I used as extra backup storage locations.

> Depending on the current content of the array (with such low event
> numbers, it looks like you may not have put data on yet, it might be
> easier to just re-create the array (although that will do a resync
> anyway, unless you force that to be skipped).

Actually, prior to the array degradation I had been copying data to it for a several days straight (yeah, as I said the throughput is not very good, peaks at 21-27Mb/s for writes when 3 USB disks are involved in action simultaneously.. that is, copying from one disk to this two disk array, all three connected to the same computer… which I think is still a good number when you think about it!), so it has about 1TB of data that I wouldn't like to lose now :P

> Finally, it would be a good idea to work out how you reached this point.
> You really want to avoid having this problem in 6 months when you have
> 1.8TB of data on the drives….

True. So, my setup is an old Linux laptop that used to be my main workstation and as I've said before the array is connected to it via USB interface. This computer being a hybrid server/workstation now, runs GNOME as desktop environment and a VNC server, and most importantly for our discussion I treat it as a workstation and never shut it down in the night, instead I switch it to sleep mode/hybernate. And that's how the array got out of sync, I resumed the laptop from sleep and the array was already degraded, event counts mismatch and all.

I will have to figure out how pm-utils treats raid devices when doing sleep/resume, maybe intervene and script --stop --scan via a pm user hooks. I think internal bitmaps will be of great help here, because it may take some trying to get it done right.]

Unfortunately, abandoning this configuration will most probably be very time consuming, because the system is so heavily customized by now it will be still easier and quicker to make sure pm plays with the raid array nicely than to say install Ubuntu Server (or workstation that I assume is capable of handling arrays on sleep/resume just nicely).

> Hope this helps.

Tremendously. I appreciate your help very much!

Ivan--