Re: mdadm: /dev/md0 has been started with 1 drive (out of 2).

These are brand-new drives, that had fully synced some 20 hours before the array broke this morning, no problems with SMART stats or in OS logs. So, I'm fairly confident that the drives are OK.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm going to read a man page for all those arguments.  Meanwhile, I'm wondering if there's still a chance to assemble the array without a complete resync? It would take some 30 hrs with these drives and I'd rather avoid that, besides event count difference seems very small and I can see a lot of people say it is safe to add a non-fresh drive back in that case?

Could somebody please comment on this?

Ivan