Re: Best configuration for bcache/md cache or other cache using ssd

On 19/09/13 17:23, Roberto Spadim wrote:
Hi Ben! thanks a lot too, here in Brazil i don't have many options,
adaptec, lsi, dell are easy to find and buy, others brands i need to
search more and some times import, but no problem, since i have some
time to select and buy the equips

about bbu, yes what i found is the battery backed unit too, now i
understand... the raid board consume less power than the linux machine
and can wait more time (72h) to end writes with power loss than a ups
(~1h or more depends on how much money you expend on ups and baterry
here)
Yes, this is why even when you have a UPS in the mix, you still need a BBU for your RAID card: The UPS avoids downtime, the BBU prevents data loss.
well thanks about informations
about the diagnostics... what i should look? smart information and
iostat are something that i use here, there's any problem with a raid
card in the middle? i have two cases that i can't access smart info,
but others raid cards can, does these cards support diagnostics?
I think that most of these cards support ATA passthrough, which would be required for you to run Smart commands on the drives "behind" the RAID card. You need to verify if the card supports this feature.

As for "iostat", it's a /proc data parser so you will only have information about the devices Linux actually sees (and not the drives "handled" by the RAID card). So you'll probably have stats on the RAID "disk" (the device "exported" by the RAID card) but not individual drives.

However, in the case of LSI, "megaRaid" may have that information and may have an easy enough way of parsing it (but again this is to be confirmed).

Regards,
Ben.