Re: Best configuration for bcache/md cache or other cache using ssd

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Roberto Spadim <roberto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sorry guys, this time i don't have a full knowledge about the
> workload, but from what he told me, he want fast writes with hdd but i
> could check if small ssd devices could help
> After install linux with raid1 i will install apache mariadb and php
> at this machine, in other words it's a database and web server load,
> but i don't know what size of app and database will run yet
>
> Btw, ssd with bcache or dm cache could help hdd (this must be
> enterprise level) writes, right?
> Any idea what the best method to test what kernel drive could give
> superior performace? I'm thinking about install the bcache, and after
> make a backup and install dm cache and check what's better, any other
> idea?

We still need to know what size datasets are going to be used. And
also given it's a webserver, how big of a pipe does he have?

Given a typical webserver in a colo w/ 10Mbps pipe, I think the
suggested config is overkill. For a webserver the 7200 SATA's should
be able to deliver enough data to keep apache happy.

In the database side, depends on how intensive the workload is. I see
a lot of webservers where the 7200's are just fine because the I/O
demands from the database are low. Blog/CMS systems like wordpress
will be harder on the database but again it depends on how heavy the
access is to the server. How many visitors/hour does he expect to
serve?

--
Drew