Re: Best configuration for bcache/md cache or other cache using ssd

On 9/18/2013 12:33 PM, Roberto Spadim wrote:
> Well the internet link here is 100mbps, i think the workload will be a
> bit more than only 100 users, it's a second webserver+database server
> He is trying to use a cheaper server with more disk performace, Brazil
> costs are too high to allow a full ssd system or 15k rpm sas harddisks
> For mariadb server i'm studing if the thread-pool scheduler will be
> used instead of one thread per connection but "it's not my problem"
> the final user will select what is better for database scheduler
> In other words i think the work load will not be a simple web server
> cms/blog, i don't know yet how it will work, it's a black/gray box to
> me, today he have sata enterprise hdd 7200rpm at servers (dell server
> r420 if i'm not wrong) and is studing if a ssd could help, that's my
> 'job' (hobby) in this task

Based on the information provided it sounds like the machine is seek
bound.  The simplest, and best, solution to this problem is simply
installing a [B|F]BWC RAID card w/512KB cache.  Synchronous writes are
acked when committed to RAID cache instead of the platter.  This will
yield ~130,000 burst write TPS before hitting the spindles, or ~130,000
writes in flight.  This is far more performance than you can achieve
with a low end enterprise SSD, for about the same cost.  It's fully
transparent and performance is known and guaranteed, unlike the recent
kernel based block IO caching hacks targeting SSDs as fast read/write
buffers.

You can use the onboard RAID firmware to create RAID1s or a RAID10, or
you can expose each disk individually and use md/RAID while still
benefiting from the write caching, though for only a handful of disks
you're better off using the firmware RAID.  Another advantage is that
you can use parity RAID (controller firmware only) and avoid some of the
RMW penalty, as the read blocks will be in controller cache.  I.e. you
can use three 7.2K disks, get the same capacity as a four disk RAID10,
with equal read performance and nearly the same write performance.

Write heavy DB workloads are a post child for hardware caching RAID devices.

--
Stan