Re: question about the best suited RAID level/layout

On Sat, Jul 06, 2013 at 05:04:11PM +0200, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-07-06 at 03:36 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> > > Sure about that? Wasn't there some agreement that HGST belongs to WD but
> > > produces independently...?
> >
> > That wouldn't make sense for either party.  Where did you read this?
> I vaguely remember this being part for some anti trust obligations...
>
> > Got a link?
> The only thing I've found right now was:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HGST#History
> "It was agreed that WD would operate with WD Technologies and HGST as
> wholly owned subsidiaries and they would compete in the marketplace with
> separate brands and product lines."
> But the next sentence about Toshiba may indicate that HGST stops 3.5"
> business?!

Here's another relevant link:
    http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2012_08/pr0801.htm

I got that from this thread:
    http://forums.servethehome.com/f17/toshiba-announces-12-new-3-5-desktop-drives-775.html

Quote from the thread, "WDC had to forfeit a Hitachi plant in China
to Toshiba to gain FTC approval for its HGST acquisition."

FWIW... I don't use their product, but enjoy the blog of the
Backblaze company (basically a cloud backup service).  There is some
overlap between the storage systems they are building out and what
home users often what (i.e. very cost-sensitive).  Clearly, they buy
a lot of hard drives, so their preference for reliable drives ought
to mean something:
    http://blog.backblaze.com/2013/02/20/180tb-of-good-vibrations-storage-pod-3-0/

-Matt