Re: question about the best suited RAID level/layout

Hi Phil.

On Thu, 2013-07-04 at 17:43 -0400, Phil Turmel wrote:
> > The focus is absolutely on data security/resilience,... and not at all
> > on performance.
> This particular statement trumps all other considerations.
Sarcasm? (*Sheldon Cooper hat on*)

> Triple-copy raid10
> across four drives can match that resiliency, with dramatically better
> performance, but with a substantial cost in capacity.
hmm I've briefly thought about that as well (just forgot to mention
it)... for some reason (probably a non-reason) I've always had a bad
feeling with respect to that uneven mixing (i.e. three copies on four
disks), AFAIU that would look like (each same number being the same
chunck:
+---------+ +---------+ +---------+ +---------+
|   sda   | |   sdb   | |   sdc   | |   sdd   |
+---------+ +---------+ +---------+ +---------+
  0  1  2     0  1  3     0  2  3     1  2  3
  4  5  6     4  5  7     4  6  7     5  6  7
  8  9  10    8  9  11    8  10 11    9  10 11

And that gives me again, any 2 disks... but so much better performance?

With 4x 4TiB disks,.. RAID6 would give me 16/2 TiB... and the above
would give me 16/3 TiB?!
Quite a loss...

And AFAIU it doesn't give me any better resilience than RAID6 (by tricks
like probabilities or so)?

Can it be grown? Like when I want to use the 5th bay? What would it be
then, still any 2 out of 5?

> Two-failure resilience is vital to completing recovery after replacing a
> failed drive, particularly when the read error rates of consumer-grade
> drives are involved.
Well,... I have enterprise disks, and I have backups on different
media,... but nevertheless,... I wouldn't "risk" RAID5 for my precious
data

> In your specific case, raid6 has one additional advantage: making future
> expansion to the fifth bay a reliable, simple, no downtime event.
Ah... so I couldn't online/offline grow a RAID10 with n/f/o=3 ?

> In your situation, I would use raid6.  To mitigate the performance hit
> on occasional random-access work, I would use a small chunk size (I use
> 16k).  That will somewhat hurt peak linear performance, but even
> bluray-equivalent media streams only amount to 5 MB/s or so.  That would
> be 80 IOPS per device in such a four-drive raid6.
I think RAID6 will be what I go for, at least unless the RAID10 with
three blocks gives me any resilience bonus, which I can't see right now.

Any ideas about the layout? i.e. left-symmetric-6, right-symmetric-6,
left-asymmetric-6, right-asymmetric-6, and parity-first-6 ?

I'd have even one more question here: Has anyone experience with my idea
of intentionally running devices of different vendors (Seagate, WD,
HGST)... for resilience reasons?... Does it work out as I plan, or are
there any hidden caveats I can't see which make the resilience (not the
performance) worse?

Thanks :),
Chris.