Re: Suboptimal raid6 linear read speed

On Jan 19, 2013, at 4:51 PM, Maarten <maarten@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 01/19/13 23:48, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> On 1/19/2013 1:43 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>>
>>> With a BER of 10^-14 you have a 16% risk of getting URE when reading an
>>> entire 2TB drive.
>> On 1/19/2013 7:21 AM, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
>>
>>> ok, perhaps, maybe, but then it's 17% chance of losing data after a
>>> mirror or raid-5 rebuild with 2TB drives...
>> Where are you guys coming up with this 16-17% chance of URE on any
>> single full read of this 2TB, 10E14 drive?  The URE rate here is 1 bit
>> for every 12.5 trillion bytes.  Thus, statistically, one must read this
>> drive more than 6 times to encounter a URE.  Given that, how is any
>> single full read between the 1st and the 6th going to have a 16-17%
>> chance of encountering a URE for that one full read?  That doesn't make
>> sense.
> Sorry but now I have to speak up too. Of course that 16-17% figure is
> right! Did you miss out on math classes ? It is all statistics. There is
> a chance of '1.0' to get one URE reading 12.5 TB. That URE may be
> encountered at the very start of the first TB, or it may not come at
> all, because that is how statistics work. But *on*average*, you'll get
> 1.0 URE per 12.5 TB, ergo, 0.16 per 2.0 TB. Basic simple math… jeez.

Please explain this basic, simple math, where a URE is equivalent to 1 bit of information. And also, explain the simple math where bit of error is equal to a URE. And please explain the simple math in the context of a conventional HDD 512 byte sector, which is 4096 bits.

If you have a URE, you have lost not 1 bit. You have lost 4096 bits. A loss of 4096 bits in 12.5TB (not 12.5TiB) is an error rate of 1 bit of error in 2.44^10 bits. That is a gross difference from published error rates.

And then explain how the manufacturer spec does not actually report the URE in anything approaching "on average" terms, but *less than* 1 bit in 10^14. If you propose the manufacturers are incorrectly reporting the error rate, realize you're basically accusing them of a rather massive fraud because less than 1 bit of error in X, is a significantly different thing than "on average" 1 bit of error in X. This could be up to, but not including, a full order magnitude higher error rate than the published spec. It's not an insignificant difference.

Chris Murphy--