Re: 3TB drives failure rate (summary)

On 01/11/2012 15:39, Miles Fidelman wrote:
John Robinson wrote:
On 01/11/2012 15:13, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Phil Turmel wrote:
I strongly encourage you to run "smartctl -l scterc /dev/sdX" for each
of your drives.  For any drive that warns that it doesn't support SCT
ERC, set the controller device timeout to 180 like so:

echo 180 >/sys/block/sdX/device/timeout

If the report says read or write ERC is disabled, run "smartctl -l
scterc,70,70 /dev/sdX" to set it to 7.0 seconds.

You then set up a boot-time script to do these adjustments at every
restart.

Sounds like a very bad idea if your drive is part of a RAID array.

Either of these - the scterc if you can, the device timeout if you
can't - are an excellent idea if you are using a desktop drive as part
of a md RAID array. Why do you think otherwise?

If I'm seeing that kind of device timeout, I want it out of my array,
and I want an alert telling me to replace it.  Otherwise my server's
performance goes to s*&t.

You might not want that kind of device timeout, but as you've made clear earlier in this thread, you wouldn't use desktop drives in md RAID, so this doesn't really apply to you.

Anyone using desktop drives which don't support SCT ERC in md RAID is liable to see long timeouts on the simplest bad sector, and they probably prefer to keep the drive in the array and have the sector rewritten after reconstruction than have the drive failed out of the array.

Cheers,

John.