Re: 3TB drives failure rate

On 10/28/12 18:05, Joe Landman wrote:
On 10/28/2012 12:47 PM, Ed W wrote:

- Green consumer drives likely are satisfactorarily reliable for most
uses, caveat that you accept they will fail catastrophically eventually
(just like your enterprise drive will).  We can debate the relative life
of each, but it's almost certainly just a linear factor...

Our experience is that they aren't acceptable for RAIDs in most cases, unless you turn on TLER, and turn off the green functions at minimum. In which case, what advantage do they have other than price?

Do you have a magic way to turn on TLER on green drives and would like to share it with us?
I can give you money
smartctl scterc did not work there, last time I checked

Part of the issue is them falling out of RAIDs. Part of the the issue are the occasional hiccups on coming out of sleep mode, which for most desktops isn't a problem, but DEFINITELY an issue for RAIDs.

This thing of "drives falling out of RAID" I have heard many times, but really don't know what people are talking about. How could a drive fall out of a RAID? A RAID is nothing special, it's just read/write commands given to a drive by a process called MD. If the drive drops out of RAID it means it would have dropped out of a normal computer doing normal I/O
Please explain

Another (sometimes significant) issue is that we've been noticing partial coverage (e.g. missing functions) in some of the pages available to sdparm with the desktop/consumer drives. This is very annoying, especially if you are building a RAID. Most egregious on SSDs, but we've seen one spinning rust device that did the same.

These sdparm missing feature also would interest me,
but actually less than a response to the other 2 topics above