Re: 3TB drives failure rate

Roman Mamedov wrote:
On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 20:09:06 -0400
Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Two separate issues.
The comments about "dropping out of raid" had to do with drives that are
slow to come out of sleep mode - causing hiccups when the RAID
hardware/software simply doesn't see the drive, and drops it.
There are no drives in good working order that would come out of sleep mode SO
slowly, that the Linux kernel ATA subsystem would even give up trying and
return an I/O error from it (and it's only after that point, when this begins
to become mdraid's concern).

I was just pointing out that the "dropping out of raid" sub-thread was started by a comment about sleep mode causing hiccups, which is a separate issue from that of RAID arrays getting f*&ked by long read delays from failing consumer drives.

I run servers, I wouldn't be crazy enough to use drives that go to sleep (not that they'd have the opportunity).