Re: Best way (only?) to setup SSD's for using TRIM

Could you explain this a little more please? I don't understand why applications come into play? Thought the file system, in this case ext4, handles space allocation on the device not any application.

And here again, I don't need TRIM, but everything I've been reading, even from the SSD manufacturer, OCZ, says you do need TRIM to reduce write amplification.

If you don't need TRIM that makes things easy but my concern is write amplification over time.

[Geeze. Had to resend, twice now, evidently Robert's reply was in HTML "reason: 550 5.7.1 Content-Policy reject msg: The message contains HTML subpart, therefore we consider it SPAM or Outlook Virus." and ThunderBird even when set not to use HTML keeps it that way]