Re: RAID6 reshape, 2 disk failures

On 18 October 2012 12:56, Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/17/2012 2:03 PM, Mathias Burén wrote:
>
>> There are no CRC errors so I doubt the cable is at fault. In any way,
>> I've RMA'd drives for less, and an RMA is underway for this drive.
>> Just need to wait for the reshape to finish so I can get in the
>> server. Btw, with a few holes drilled this bad boy holds 7 3.5" HDDs
>> no problem: http://www.antec.com/productPSU.php?id=30&pid=3
>
> It would seem you didn't mod the airflow of the case along with the
> increased drive count.  The NSK1380 has really poor airflow to begin
> with: a single PSU mounted 120mm super low RPM fan.  Antec is currently
> shipping the NSK1380 with an additional PCI slot centrifugal fan to help
> overcome the limitations of the native design.
>
> You bought crap drives, WD20EARS, then improperly modded a case to house
> more than twice the design limit of HDDs.
>
> I'd say you stacked the deck against yourself here Mathias.
>
> --
> Stan
>
> --

Now now, the setup is working like a charm. Disk failures happen all
the time. There's an additional 120mm at the bottom, blowing up
towards the 7 HDDs. I bought "crap" drives because they were cheap.

In the 2 years a total of 3 drives have failed, but the array has
never failed. I'm very pleased with it (HTPC, with an ION board and 4x
SATA PCI-E controller for E10)

Mathias