Re: RAID6 reshape, 2 disk failures

On Oct 17, 2012, at 2:03 AM, Mathias Burén wrote:

> Weekly scrubs and weekly offline self-tests. SMART always looked good,
> until 1 drive died completely, the other has 5 uncorrectable sectors.
> LCC is under 250K. WD20EARS.

Color me confused. Uncorrectable sectors should produce a read error on a check, which will cause the data to be reconstructed from parity, and written back to those sectors. A write to a bad sector, if persistent, will cause it to be relocated. If this isn't possible, the disk is toast if it can't reliably deal with bad sectors (out of reserve sectors?)

The smartmontools page has information on how to clear uncorrectable sectors manually. But I'd think check would do this.

> There are basically no files under 8GB on the array so therefore I
> thought the new chunk size made sense.

Yeah it seems reasonable in that case. But unless it's benchmarked you don't actually know if it matters.

> It's slow because it's broken (see above).
> Any idea why it says rebuilding, when it's not? Is it going to attempt
> a rebuild after the reshape?

Not sure. With two drives missing, you're in a very precarious situation. I would not worry about this detail until you have the sda (#6) replaced and rebuilt. Presumably the reshape must finish before the rebuild will start but I'm not sure of this.

What's dmesg reporting while all of this is going on?

Chris Murphy--