Re: bug: 4-disk md raid10 far2 can be assembled clean with only two disks, causing silent data corruption

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 09:59:42AM +0100, John Robinson wrote:
> On 26/09/2012 09:28, keld@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> [...]
> >I also understand it now, I think. raid10,f2 with 4 disks cannot in the
> >current implementation
> >survive 2 failing disks.
>
> It can, but only two non-adjacent discs. With 4 drives sda-sdd, than
> means you can only lose both sda and sdc, or sdb and sdd.

Agree

> >We have discussed earlier how to implement raid10,far that would mean
> >better survival chances with more disks failing. This is not implemented
> >yet.
>
> No, but even if/when it is, there will still be some combinations of two
> discs that you cannot afford to lose. The layout change to try to
> improve redundancy will not be generic, as it doesn't work for an odd
> number of discs, so the existing layout would have to be retained as an
> option.

Well, at least for backward compatibility we need an option for the current layout.

For odd number of disks, I do think we can improve the chances for more failing disks, as
discussed earlier.

best regards
keld