Re: bug: 4-disk md raid10 far2 can be assembled clean with only two disks, causing silent data corruption

On 26/09/2012 09:28, keld@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
[...]
I also understand it now, I think. raid10,f2 with 4 disks cannot in the current implementation
survive 2 failing disks.

It can, but only two non-adjacent discs. With 4 drives sda-sdd, than means you can only lose both sda and sdc, or sdb and sdd.

We have discussed earlier how to implement raid10,far that would mean
better survival chances with more disks failing. This is not implemented yet.

No, but even if/when it is, there will still be some combinations of two discs that you cannot afford to lose. The layout change to try to improve redundancy will not be generic, as it doesn't work for an odd number of discs, so the existing layout would have to be retained as an option.

Cheers,

John.

--
John Robinson, yuiop IT services