Re: bug: 4-disk md raid10 far2 can be assembled clean with only two disks, causing silent data corruption

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 11:48:34 +0200 <jakub@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 07:00:44 +0200 (CEST), Mikael Abrahamsson
> <swmike@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, 25 Sep 2012, NeilBrown wrote:
> >
> >> Why do you say that "the write IO errors are invisible for the
> >> filesystem"? They are certainly reported in the kernel logs that you
> >> should and I'm sure an application would see them if it checked return
> >> status properly.
> >>
> >> md is behaving as designed here.  It deliberately does not fail the
> >> whole array, it just fails those blocks which are no longer accessible.
> >

> Would you please refer to some documentation that this behaviour is
> correct? I now tried to fail several disks in raid5, raid0 and raid10-near,
> in case of r0 and r10n, mdadm didn't even allow me to remove more disks
> than is sufficient to access all the data. In case of r5 I was able to fail
> 2 out of 3, but the array was correctly marked as FAILED and couldn't be
> accessed at all. I'd expect that behaviour even in my case of raid10-far. I
> can't even assmenble and run it with less than required count of disks.

Could you please be explicit about exactly how the behaviour that you think
of as "correct" would differ from the current behaviour?  Because I cannot
really see what point you are making - I need a little help.

Thanks,
NeilBrown