Re: mdadm --monitor: need extra feature?

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 09:14:15 +0200 Sergiusz Brzeziński
<Sergiusz.Brzezinski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> W dniu 21.08.2012 14:39, Adam Goryachev pisze:

> >> [...]
> >>
> >> I know, I know. Raid is not a backup system :)
> > Aside from RAID is not a backup, perhaps the more useful suggestion
> > would be to use the right tool for the job...
> >
> > So, again, ignoring that you possibly should not be using RAID for a
> > backup... how about using udev scripts to see when you plugin a drive,
> > and that script can check the UUID against any md arrays, and if it
> > matches, add it to the array....
>
> I wrote a script making this work. It runs once a hour. I pass the parameter
> with md device to the script. It checks the state of the array with "mdadm
> --detail". If there is something wrong (State : degraded) it reads UUID of that
> array. Then it scans for /dev/sd* partitions and checks with "mdadm --examine"
> if UUID matches. If so, the partition can be added with "mdadm --add". That is
> why I asked abut this feature in mdadm - recognising if there is a new partition
> belonging to monitored array. With mdadm this procedure would work on elegant
> manner.

udev really is the right way to do this.  Just get udev to run
  mdadm -I /dev/newdev
whenever a device is discovered.  It can then be automatically re-added
depending on the policy set up in mdadm.conf.
"mdadm --monitor" will not gain this functionality.  It is for monitoring
active arrays, not for monitor new devices.

NeilBrown