Re: md raid behavior, bad sector uncorrectable read error

On 19/08/2012 20:12, Chris Murphy wrote:

On Aug 19, 2012, at 3:47 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
If I remember correctly from what has been described here before, a
read error will cause a re-write with information created from
parity

That's the thing I'd like to get a definitive answer one. If only it
were easy to simulate bad sectors in VM's I could just test it!

I wonder why no one has thought of this idea before... Wait a minute, they have! When you read the "man 4 md" or "man mdadm" pages, read about the "faulty" module. You don't have to use a virtual machine for this, it has been used for testing md raid from long before virtual machines were practical in the PC world.

(Sorry for the sarcasm - it was just too tempting in light of Neil's recommendation to read the "man 4 md" page!)

Have fun playing with these things - it's good practice so you know what to expect if a real failure occurs.

If it throws a write error, the drive is kicked from the array
(because a drive with write errors is clearly defective).

That makes complete sense.