Re: Issue with md and 4K sector alignment

On 20/08/2012 07:36, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2012, Kyle Brantley wrote:

I understand that I may need to work on the higher layers (LVM,
partitioning -- and if there is any insight here, it would be
appreciated!) with respect to the alignment, but my concern is the
resync times. I've tried building the array off of both the raw disks
and 4K aligned partitions placed on the disks -- the resync
performance is identical, and poor.

If you create the md directly on the device instead of doing partitions,
you don't have to worry. LVM and md are already 4k aligned.

If you create partitions, then you have to make sure they're 4k aligned.

It would be nice if LVM and md moved towards a bigger native alignment. 4K is good enough for hard disks, but for SSD's you want to align partitions on erase block boundaries. The standard used by modern fdisk and gparted (and tools from the-OS-that-must-not-be-named) is 1 MB - a bigger alignment than is necessary for current SSDs, but one that will be good enough for the foreseeable future.