Re: potentially lost largeish raid5 array..

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 10:26:53 -0600 Thomas Fjellstrom <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On September 23, 2011, NeilBrown wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 02:09:36 -0600 Thomas Fjellstrom <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > I forgot to say, but: Thank you very much :) for the help, and your
> > > tireless work on md.
> >
> > You've very welcome .... but I felt I needed to respond to that word
> > "tireless".
> > The truth is that I am getting rather tired of md .... if anyone knows
> > anyone who wants to get into kernel development and is wondering where to
> > start - please consider whispering 'the md driver' in their ear.  Plenty
> > to do, great mentoring possibilities, and competent linux kernel engineers
> > with good experience are unlikely to have much trouble finding a job ;-)
> >
> > NeilBrown
>
> Very tempting. How much work do you think it would be to add in full raid10
> reshape support? ;D (not that I'm volunteering, I don't think I could
> comprehend a lot of the raid code, at least not at this point in time
> (extenuating circumstances)).

RAID10 reshape is more complicated than RAID5/6 reshape because there are
more options - more combinations.

So you would probably implement a subset of possible reshapes.  And then
maybe implement another subset.

Providing you have:
  - a clear understanding of the intermediate state and a way to record
    that state in the metadata
  - a way to tell if a given block is in the 'old' layout or the 'new' layout
    or 'being reshaped'
  - somewhere in memory to store all the blocks that are 'being reshaped'

it should be fairly easy.  RAID5/6 has a stripe-cache so the last point is
trivial.  Handling that in RAID10 is probably the biggest single part of the
task.

So: not a trivial task, but not an enormous task either.... which doesn't
narrow it down very much I guess.

NeilBrown