Re: Recovery of failed RAID 6 and LVM

On 9/25/11 10:39 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
On 9/25/2011 2:55 AM, Marcin M. Jessa wrote:
Hi guys.

I have a RAID 6 setup with 5 2TB drives on Debian Wheezy [1] & [2].
Yesterday 3 of the drives failed working leaving the RAID setup broken.

What was the hardware event that caused this situation? Did you lose
power to, or kick the data cable out of a 3-bay eSATA enclosure? Do you
have a bad 3 in 1 hot swap cage? A flaky HBA/driver?

You need to identify the cause and fix it permanently or this will
likely happen again and again.

The problem is the Seagate drives. Searching for issues with my
drives I found many people are complaining about the same problems as I have - drives failing randomly - [1-4]. I just ordered WD drives to replace the Seagate ones one by one in the array. I will return the Seagate HDs to the shop. Right now my main concern is to get the data back from the LVM partitions and back it up... The worst thing is the 3 drives failed so unexpectedly and fast I didn't even have a chance to set up a backup solution.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[1]: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=625922
[2]: http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Barracuda-XT-Barracuda-Barracuda/ST2000DL003-Barracuda-Green-not-detected-at-BIOS/td-p/87154/page/7
[3]: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=51496&p=306494