Re: additional feature for linear

On 17/09/11 17:32, Henti Smith wrote:
On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Jérôme Poulin<jeromepoulin@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
On 2011-09-17, at 03:14, Henti Smith<henti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

Would it not be possible to add functions to linear mode to mark this
missing chunks as "bad blacks" and let the FS deal with it as such.

Linux RAID can already deal with such a problem IIRC but if the
filesystem superblock is missing or directory entries, you ain't going
no where. This kind of feature would require filesystem knowledge of
where the RAID split the device and would be better suited to a FS
like BTRFS which mirror superblock and metadata without any Linux
RAID.

Hi Jérôme

Thanks for the reply. I though BTRFS would be a good option as well,
but they don't seem to understand what I'm looking for :)

I have found a fuse base FS that seems to do this, so will play with that.

It's called http://romanrm.ru/en/mhddfs and seems to do what I need it
to do so will test :)

Thanks again for replying.

Henti

That looks like an interesting idea, and would be particularly useful if you've already got several disks with filesystems and want to join them together. However, I would never consider it for a /new/ setup. The price of disk space is so low that I never again expect to set up a computer without raid, unless it is a laptop with only space for one disk, or a machine using some nameless inferior operating system that doesn't support proper raid. Certainly if you are thinking of putting three disks in a machine then raid10,far would be the natural choice, or raid5 if you want a little more space for your pennies.