RAID showing all devices as spares after partial unplug

I have 11 drives in a RAID 6 array. 6 are plugged into one esata
enclosure, the other 4 are in another. These esata cables are prone to
loosening when I'm working on nearby hardware.

If that happens and I start the host up, big chunks of the array are
missing and things could get ugly. Thus I cooked up a custom startup
script that verifies each device is present before starting the array
with

mdadm --assemble --no-degraded -u 4fd7659f:12044eff:ba25240d:
de22249d /dev/md3

So I thought I was covered. In case something got unplugged I would
see the array failing to start at boot and I could shut down, fix the
cables and try again. However, I hit a new scenario today where one of
the plugs was loosened while everything was turned on.

The good news is that there should have been no activity on the array
when this happened, particularly write activity. It's a big media
partition and sees much less writing then reading. I'm also the only
one that uses it and I know I wasn't transferring anything. The system
also seems to have immediately marked the filesystem read-only,
because I discovered the issue when I went to write to it later and
got a "read-only filesystem" error. So I believe the state of the
drives should be the same - nothing should be out of sync.

However, I shut the system down, fixed the cables and brought it back
up. All the devices are detected by my script and it tries to start
the array with the command I posted above, but I've ended up with
this:

md0 : inactive sdn1[1](S) sdj1[9](S) sdm1[10](S) sdl1[11](S)
sdk1[12](S) md3p1[8](S) sdc1[6](S) sdd1[5](S) md1p1[4](S) sdf1[3](S)
sdh1[0](S)
      16113893731 blocks super 1.2

Instead of all coming back up, or still showing the unplugged drives
missing, everything is a spare? I'm suitably disturbed.

It seems to me that if the data on the drives still reflects the
last-good data from the array (and since no writing was going on it
should) then this is just a matter of some metadata getting messed up
and it should be fixable. Can someone please walk me through the
commands to do that?

Mike