Re: mdadm does not create partition devices whatsoever, "partitionable" functionality broken

On 05/13/2011 09:49 PM, Christopher White wrote:
On 5/13/11 9:01 PM, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
Hi Chris,

I've run paritioned MD disks for several years now. I do that on systems where i use md for the system partitions. One mirror with partitions for the different system aspects. I prefer that, as it reflects best the actual physical configuration, and all partitions will be degraded at the same time when 1 disk develops a problem (which is unfortunately not the case when you partition the disk and then mirror the partitions).

As i am a bit lazy and have only limited wish to fight with BIOS/bootloader conflicts / vagaries, these systems typically boot from the network (kernel gets loaded from the network, from there onwards all is on the local disk).

Cheers,

Rudy
Thank you for the information, Rudy,

Your experience of running partitioned MD arrays for years shows that it is indeed stable. The reason for wanting to skip LVM was that it's one less performance-penalty layer, one less layer to configure, one less possible point of failure, etc.

I skip LVM cause for my usage pattern it only gives me an additional management layer... an additional layer to configure

However, Phil again brings up the main fear that's been nagging me, and that is that MD's partitioning support receives less love (use) and therefore risks having bugs that go undiscovered for ages and (gasp) may even risk corrupting the data. People are just so used to LVM since MD used to be single-partition only, that LVM+single-partition MD array is far more mature and far more in use.
MD layer and LVM layer are independently maintained. There regular use together would trigger eventual bugs quicker though.

My main reason against LVM was the performance penalty, where I had read that it was in the 1-5% range, but I just did a new search and saw threads showing that any performance hit claim is outdated and that LVM2 is extremely efficient. In fact the CPU load didn't seem to be impacted more than 0.1% or so in the graphs I saw.

By the way, Rudy, as for your boot conflicts and the fact that you resort to running a network boot, that was only a problem in the past when bootloaders did not support software RAID. Grub2 supports GPT, MD arrays with metadata 1.2, and can fully boot from a system (with /boot) installation located on your MD array. All you'll have to do is make sure your /boot partition (and the whole system if you want to) is on a RAID 1 (mirrored) array, and that you install the Grub2 bootloader on every physical disk. This means that it goes:

I know... but i happen to dislike grub2, and my network boot environment is stable and well maintained. Grub2 is for me a step backwards. more difficult to configure, and i've gone back to lilo as main bootloader.