Re: mdadm does not create partition devices whatsoever, "partitionable" functionality broken

On 05/13/2011 03:32 PM, Roman Mamedov wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2011 15:22:09 -0400
> Phil Turmel <philip@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I always use LVM.  While the lack of attention to MD partitions might
>> justify that, the real reason is the sheer convenience of creating,
>> manipulating, and deleting logical volumes on the fly.  While you may not
>> need it *now*, when you discover that you *do* need it, you won't be able to
>> use it.  Online resizing of any of your LVs is the killer feature.
>
> Can it defragment non-contiguous LVs yet?

Automatically, no (so far as I've seen).  If you have a suitable free space chunk in the group, though, you can manually create a contiguous mirror, let it sync, then remove the original segments.  Do it twice if placement is critical.

Phil