Re: Doing 'echo repair > /sys/devices/virtual/block/md?/md/sync_action' does not result in mismatch_cnt of 0 on RAID-6?

I had the same question and ended up looking at the source. The kernel
documentation was maddeningly vague about this.

/drivers/md/raid5.c (which handles both 5 and 6), has, in procedure
handle_parity_checks5 and handle_parity_checks6 similar comments:

/* handle a successful check operation, if parity is correct
		 * we are done.  Otherwise update the mismatch count and repair
		 * parity if !MD_RECOVERY_CHECK
		 */
and the program logic does just that--update the count, then check for
the flag, and repair if the flag isn't set.

And in /drivers/md/md.c the section that parses the command has the following:

if (cmd_match(page, "check"))
			set_bit(MD_RECOVERY_CHECK, &mddev->recovery);
		else if (!cmd_match(page, "repair"))
			return -EINVAL;
		set_bit(MD_RECOVERY_REQUESTED, &mddev->recovery);
		set_bit(MD_RECOVERY_SYNC, &mddev->recovery);
So it looks like the only difference between check and repair is the
MD_RECOVERY_CHECK flag, which is set for check only.