Re: Doing 'echo repair > /sys/devices/virtual/block/md?/md/sync_action' does not result in mismatch_cnt of 0 on RAID-6?

On Tue Mar 15, 2011 at 01:43:01PM +0000, Bas van Schaik wrote:

> My other question is still standing:
> > Furthermore, theoretically it should be possible to indicate which
> > device in the RAID-6 array contains the inconsistent data, or am I
> > mistaking? If so, that would certainly be a nice feature to see
> > implemented, as it would help diagnosing problems.
> Am I indeed correct in thinking this?

I'm not sure. If it's a single data block that's failed then you should
be able to, for each disk, re-generate the data using the other disks
and the P parity, then validate against the Q parity (if it matches then
that disk is the incorrect one). You should also be able to detect
errors in either the P or Q parity (if one is valid for the data and the
other isn't).  If there's multiple disks which are incorrect then I
don't think there's any way you can tell which (or even avoid having one
of the correct disks flagged as incorrect).

Cheers,
    Robin
--
     ___