RE: Q: imsm rapid recovery volume

No this is Intel BIOS RAID. You need a kernel that's fairly recent and mdadm that supports external metadata so once again something fairly recent. Fedora supports this out of box if you want a free distro. Ubuntu does not last time I checked because grub2 doesn't seem to work properly yet with IMSM, but I know they are putting in new code to support it.

I have updated the RAID wiki. Please take a look here:
https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID_setup#External_Metadata