Re: Raid selection questions (10 vs 6, n2 vs f2) on an 8 drive array

Larry Schwerzler put forth on 2/18/2011 7:53 PM:

> While I have considered getting a new case that can hold 8 drives +
> system drive + cd rom I always had trouble finding them. There are no
> doubt better setups then mine, but Im trying to not buy new hardware
> if I can get away with it.

Are you mechanically inclined in the slightest?  You can fix the "cable
kick" problem for less than $5 with these:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=292685-1781-45-1MBUVL&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3128405&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=rel&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

and these:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_220871-1781-45-311UVL_0__?productId=3128261&Ntt=cable+tie&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FVa%3Dtrue%26Ntt%3Dcable%2Btie

and have most of them left over for other uses.  You'll get strain
relief and kick protection, especially if you use two on each chassis.
Though, if you are actually kicking or tripping over the cable, you'll
simply end up jerking your equipment off the table and damaging it,
instead of just having the eSATA plug pop out.

I'm really curious to understand why/how your cables are exposed to
"kicking" or other detachment due to accidental contact.

--
Stan