Re: What's the typical RAID10 setup?

On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 06:15:44PM +0700, hansbkk@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Keld Jørn Simonsen put forth on 2/4/2011 3:06 AM:
>
> >> I dont think SNIA defines RAID 10, which is a specific Linux MD thing.
> >
> > Either you're very young, or don't read what I type, maybe both. ;)  RAID 10 has
> > been around for 15+ years.  It is not unique to Linux mdraid.  The "alternate
> > layouts" of mdraid are unique to Linux/mdraid, but RAID 10 is not unique to mdraid.
> >
> >> For RAID1+0, I think it is covered by the DDF standard
> >
> > RAID 10 and RAID 1+0 are the same thing by two different names.  It's not
> >

> > I'm getting dizzy from the running in circles...
>

> Dope-slaps all 'round!
>
> Again, this problem would just go away if everyone would just refrain
> from using "RAID 10" or "RAID10" as if they were meaningful - within
> the context of this list, they just cause confusion.
>
> It seems the mdadm people are willing to use RAID 1+0 for "the other
> kind", and the "outsiders" are willing to use "md RAID10", but both
> sides would like to claim just plain "RAID10" for themselves, and it's
> causing endless loops of non-communication!
>
> Please reply with better alternatives, but IMO "md raid10" and
> "raid1+0" are clear enough to be understood by one and all.
>
> For those of you sick of my ranting on beating a dead horse, I'm sorry
> but I just can't help keeping on trying to put this behind us - we're
> all here for a common cause aren't we?
>
> I'm not asking you to change any religious beliefs outside the list,
> just adopt an enabling convention for discussions here.

I can agree with what is said here, at least when we are discussing with
somebody like Stan who insists on using terminology, that is easily
misunderstood. I do think precise terminology is important.
Also I have tried to clean up terminology other places, such as
our wiki and in articles elsewhere. I tend to write "Linux MD raid10"
in those instances.

Best regards
keld