Re: What's the typical RAID10 setup?

On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 02:27:38AM -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Keld Jørn Simonsen put forth on 2/4/2011 1:06 AM:
>
> > Well RAID1+0 is not the best combination available. I would argue that
> > raid10,f2 is significantly better in a number of areas.
>
> I'd guess Linux software RAID would be lucky to have 1% of RAID deployments
> worldwide--very lucky.  The other 99%+ are HBA RAID or SAN/NAS "appliances" most
> often using custom embedded RTOS with the RAID code written in assembler,
> especially in the case of the HBAs.  For everything not Linux mdraid, RAID 10
> (aka 1+0) is king of the hill, and has been for 15 years+

Yes, you are right, Linux MD really has an advantage here:-)

> >> Something smells bad here.  Does one of the RAID companies own a patent or
> >> trademark on "RAID 10"?  I'll look into this.  It just doesn't make any sense
> >> for RAID 10 to be omitted from the SNIA DDF but to be referenced in the manner
> >> it is.
> >
> > It looks like they do define all major basic RAID disk layouts. (except
> > raid10,f2 of cause) . RAID1+0 is a derived format, maybe that is out of
> > scope of the DDF standard.
>
> "A secondary virtual disk is a VD configured using hybrid RAID levels like
> RAID10 or RAID50. Its elements are BVDs."
>
> So apparently their Disk Data Format specification doesn't include hybrid RAID
> levels.  This makes sense, as the _on disk_ layout of RAID 10 is identical to
> RAID 1.

Yes, raid10 is just a variation of RAID1, actually raid10,n2 is
identical on the disk to RAID1, eg for a 2 drive or 4-drive array.

> We apparently need to be looking for other SNIA documents to find their
> definition of RAID 10.  That is what started us down this tunnel isn't it?
> We're so deep now there's no light and I can't see the path behind me anymore. ;)

I dont think SNIA defines RAID 10, which is a specific Linux MD thing.

For RAID1+0, I think it is covered by the DDF standard, as what DDF is
aimed at is defining formats on the disks to portably handle RAID. That
means that you can move a set of disks used in one manufacturer's
configuration  to another make's  configuration, and it will still work.

And it will also work with RAID1+0, as the underlying RAID1 and RAID0
formats are defined in DDF. So no need to add specific RAID1+0
definitions. Also RAID1 may mean different layouts, like the "far" and
"offset" layouts, and it would mean an explosion of definitions of
RAID1+0 if you should name and standardize all of these variations of
RAID1+0 explicitely.

best regards
keld