Re: What's the typical RAID10 setup?

time based: is the time to:
HD:head positioning , SSD: time to send command to ROM chip
HD:read/write time (disk speed - rpm), SSD: time to write/read (time
to ssd rom chip receive bytes)
that's time based

what is fast por read?
consider that time based must know that disk is doing a I/O and that
you have a time to end, this time to end is another time in algorithm

for example:
NBD (network block device)
time to send read message + time to send command to rom or head positioning
read/write time: time to nbd server return the read/write bytes

what algorithm should do?
calculate all time or all mirrors, including time to end current
request (if only one request could be processed, or if allow more than
1 request, the time spent to start our command)
after all time calculated, select the minimal value/device

that's time based
it's not based on round robin
it's not based on closest head
it's based on device speed to:
*(1)position head/send rom command
*(2)read/write time (per total of bytes read/write)
*(3)time to start out request command (if don't allow more than 1
request per time, don't have a device queue)

the total time per device will tell us the best device to read
if we mix, nbd + ssd + hdd (5000rpm) + hdd(7500rpm) + hdd(10000rpm) +
hdd(15000rpm)
we can get the best read time using this algorithm
the problem? we must run a constante benchmark to get this values *(1)
*(2) *(3) and calculate good values of time spent on each process

resuming... whe need a model of each device (simple-constants or very
complex-neural network?), and calculate time spent per device
nice?

--
Roberto Spadim
Spadim Technology / SPAEmpresarial