Re: cpu/memory use

hummmm nice
i asked it because there´s many questions about
is hardware raid better than software raid?
i think that software is easier to implement and cpu (intel x86) is
easier to upgrade than a arm(fpga or another) hardware raid cpu

but thinking about raid software i never read anything about cpu use/memory use
now i see it´s very small footprint for raid0/raid1, just checksum
make thinks slower raid != 0/1

could we implement a "real" hardware raid?
what´s "real"? a cpu just for raid, a memory just for raid (fixed size)
maybe with linux cpu afinity, and linux max memory use?
ok it´s not a good ide, but for benchmarks it´s the best scenario, and
we will never get a "on high load your software raid can be slower..."
got the problem? it´s not a numeric optimization, it´s just a human
feeling (social? professional?) "optimization"
and we know that we will always have a portion of memory and a portion
of cpu just for raid =)

2011/1/19 NeilBrown <neilb@xxxxxxx>:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 22:14:45 -0200 Roberto Spadim <roberto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi, i wass thinking about cpu/memory use
>> i have a dual (three four) cpu
>> could i make linux to only use cpu1 for raid? and others to anythink
>> else, don´t migrate raid between cpus... and don´t allow others
>> programs to use raid cpu...
>> is it possible?
>> is it dificult?
>> it´s more linux related feature, not raid related, but could we implement it?
>> what about memory usage? how many memory software raid use? is it per
>> device, per raid, does it have a hard limit (offcourse)? could we
>> calculate it? for example i want raid1 with two disks of 1tb, how many
>> memory should i buy?
>>

> For levels other than RAID4/5/6, md/raid does not use any significant amount
> of CPU or memory.
>
> For RAID4/5/6, md's use for CPU is single-threads so it will only use a
> single CPU - which ever one the scheduler allocates it to from time to time.
>
> The only room for improvement that I can see would be to allow the 'xor'
> calculation to be run in parallel on multiple CPUs and that would only help
> if the storage devices were nearly as fast as a CPU.  Where we have tried
> parallelising xor, it has only made things slower.
>

> For your particular question about RAID1 - use a RAID1 across two devices
> would use less than 100K more than using just one of the devices.
> During resync it might use as much as a couple of megabytes of extra memory.
>
> NeilBrown
> --

Roberto Spadim
Spadim Technology / SPAEmpresarial