Re: Hi! Why having LSR's chunk size 2^n limitation?

maybe we could do betters read/write algorithm for devices (hard disks
/ solid state disks) for example (round robin, closer head, minimal
read/write time) that make a more optimized operation with mixed disks
array (ssd+hdd array) for raid 0,1,10,5,6,x+y

2011/1/18 John Robinson <john.robinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 18/01/2011 15:59, Igor Podlesny wrote:
>>
>>    I had experience of using FreeBSD's vinum (another software RAID).
>> Its author, Greg Lehey, stated in vinum's manual: "... A good
>> guideline for stripe size is between 256 kB and 512 kB.  Avoid powers
>> of 2, however: they tend to cause all superblocks to be placed on the
>> first subdisk. ..."
>>
>>    Meanwhile, with LSR we're given exactly 2^n choices, for e. g.,
>> neither 768 KiB, nor 387 KiB won't go: "mdadm: invalid chunk/rounding
>> value: 387".
>>
>>    So, why... ($Subj) and how complex would it be to abolish this
>> restriction? I think this could be a key to performance increase.
>
> You're slightly confusing things. Stripe size and chunk size are different
> things, but related. Stripe size = number of data discs * chunk size. Linux
> software RAID does insist on a power of two chunk size, which is almost
> certainly done for performance reasons, but obviously it can't insist on a
> power of two stripe size, e.g. a 3-disc RAID-0, 4-disc RAID-5 or 5-disc
> RAID-6 would all have 3 data discs so the stripe size won't be a power of
> two.
>
> Secondly, as far as I know all Linux filesystems are RAID-aware so know how
> to distribute their superblocks and other metadata evenly across all the
> discs, so they've already got any performance improvement that might be had.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John.
>
> --

Roberto Spadim