Re: LVM over RAID, or plain disks? A:"Yes" = best of both worlds?

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:35:56 +0700 hansbkk@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 7:42 AM, Neil Brown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > If you are comparing recovering after some sort of problem with
> > a RAID10 over 6 devices compared with  LVM over 2 2-device RAID1s, then the
> > former is certainly easier.  This is simply because there are less layers of
> > complexity where something could go wrong.
> >
> > In both cases, your data will be spread across multiple disks, and any one
> > disk or even any two disks would be of no use to you.
>

> Thanks Neil.
>
> Still true with LVM on top of the 6-drive set in either case?

Yes.  LVM will spread the data around in a different way, but it is still not
possible to recovery anything reliably without all of the data.

> Scenario being
>  All the drives are together and OK (generic SATA2, cleanly
> disconnected) - but everything else is gone
>  Not practical to rebuild the whole set of hosts, just want to get at key data
>  Mount the disks on a new machine, boot from SystemRescueCD or Knoppix
>  and copy the key data off.

There should be no difficulty doing that in either case.  But there is more
room for things to go wrong if you use LVM+MD than if you just use MD.

So certainly use LVM if you need any of its features, but otherwise don't.

> And between RAID6 and RAID10?

I think this has already been answered.
RAID10 tends to be faster, but with 5 or more devices, RAID6 makes more space
available.
RAID6 can survive any 2 devices failing.  RAID10 over 6 devices can sometimes
survive 3 failures, and sometimes not survive 2.

NeilBrown