Re: can mdadm use /dev/sgX as devices?

Thanks for the suggestions.  Majed B. also suggested appending the
'rootdelay=<delay seconds>' to the boot line, but while that sounded
promising, it didn't change anything (tried 5s - 35s in 10s
increments).

Tim's suggestion of using the BIOS to define each disk as a RAID0 is
brilliant and I might yet try it, but I found an updated Adaptec
Storage Manager RPM that converted to deb format with alien fairly
smoothly and natively supports 64b. (And the very latest one also
works with 64b Java so I could use the Java GUI if I wanted).

<http://goo.gl/omq3> for all StorMan downloads,

<http://www.adaptec.com/en-
US/speed/raid/storage_manager/asm_linux_x64_v5_20_17414_rpm.htm> , for
the latest/last 64b Linux version which worked.

for those unfortunate enough to have to go thru this.  (Getting to the
downnload page is a maze of twisty little passages, all alike, most of
which require registering.)

StorMan provides a working commandline 'arcconf' which I can use to
query and manipulate the RAID and while it has no email capabilities
itself, a script to query it and send email is trivial.

So I'm afraid that I'm going to have to give up on mdadm for now (no
fault of mdadm), as the pressure to get this particular box online is
pretty high.  I may have the oppo to try this approach since I've also
inherited a Dell 9650 which seems to share some of the IBM's
characteristics.

Many thanks for your combined consideration.
harry

--
Harry Mangalam - Research Computing, NACS, Rm 225 MSTB, UC Irvine
[ZOT 2225] / 92697  949 824-0084(o), 949 285-4487(c)