Re: can mdadm use /dev/sgX as devices?

On 10/10/10 02:22, Harry Mangalam wrote:
the short version:
   Can mdadm use /dev/sgX as devices?
   (and if so, how?)

the longer version is:

I inherited a 6-bay IBM x3655  with a ServeRAID-8k RAID controller
(from docs, it seems to be an 8-port Adaptec 9580W SAS/SATA
controller). I'd like to run Ubuntu 10.04.

I can use the controller BIOS on boot to config and set up a RAID5
(which presents to the OS as '/dev/sda' - the 'very large device'.

You could try:

. Looking for someone who's made a script or utility to check the array status of the controller (I know there were opensource tools for earlier adaptec controllers, so this might not be too difficult). . Configuring each individual device as a JBOD (single device RAID0 etc.), and running md on top of that.

Although I'm guessing it'd probably be possible to get the sd driver to attach to he drives some way, you'd probably end up with the controller BIOS, or the RAID controller driver fighting with md over the device metadata.

If you wipe the adaptec metadata from the drives, do you just end up with 5 individual disks in Linux?

Tim.

--
South East Open Source Solutions Limited
Registered in England and Wales with company number 06134732.