Re: How to initialize "composite" RAID

>On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Neil Brown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 18:45:54 -0400
> Mike Hartman <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Neil Brown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Or just swap the order of the two lines in /etc/mdadm.conf.
>> >
>> > NeilBrown
>> >

>> I thought about trying that, but I was under the impression that the
>> autodetect process didn't refer to that file at all. I take it I was
>> mistaken? If so that sounds like the simplest fix.
>
> Depends what you mean by the "auto detect" process.
>
> If you are referring to in-kernel auto-detect triggered by the 0xFD partition
> type, then just don't use that.  You cannot control the order in which arrays
> are assembled.  You could swap the name md1 and md0 (Which isn't too hard
> using --assemble --update=super-minor) but it probably wouldn't make any
> change to behaviour.

I'm not using the 0xFD partition type - the partitions my RAIDs are
composed of are all 0xDA, as suggested in the linux raid wiki. (I'd
provide the link but the site seems to be down at the moment.) I
believe that type is suggested specifically to avoid triggering the
kernel auto-detect.

I followed the directions on the wiki for creating the arrays,
creating the file system, etc (including keeping my /etc/mdadm.conf
updated) and nothing ever really called out what to do to get it all
mounted automatically at boot. I was going to worry about getting them
built now and getting them automated later, but when a bug (mentioned
in another thread) forced me to reboot I was surprised to see that
they were autodetected (more or less) anyway. So I'm not sure if it's
the kernel doing it or mdadm or what. I don't see any kind of entry
for mdadm when I run "rc-update show", so if it's mdadm doing the
detecting and not the kernel I have no idea what's kicking it off.

Is there something I could look for in the logs that would indicate
how the RAIDs are actually getting assembled?

> Get disable in-kernel autodetect and let mdadm assemble the arrays for you.
> It has a much better chance of getting it right.

Assuming it's the kernel doing the assembling now, what are the
specific settings in the config I need to turn off? How would I get
mdadm to do the assembling? Just put the same commands I use when
doing it manually into a script run during the boot process? Or is
there already some kind of mechanism in place for this?

> NeilBrown

Sorry for all the questions. When the wiki addresses a topic it does a
good job, but if it's not mentioned it's pretty hard to find good info
on it anywhere.