Re: How to initialize "composite" RAID

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 18:45:54 -0400
Mike Hartman <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Neil Brown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 00:28:14 +0200
> > Wolfgang Denk <wd@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> Dear Mike Hartman,

> >> I guess this is a typo and you mean RAID 0 ?

> >> ...as used here?

> >> Did you try changing your configurations uch that md0 is the RAID 0
> >> and md1 is the RAID 5 array?
> >>

> > Or just swap the order of the two lines in /etc/mdadm.conf.
> >
> > NeilBrown
> >

> I thought about trying that, but I was under the impression that the
> autodetect process didn't refer to that file at all. I take it I was
> mistaken? If so that sounds like the simplest fix.

Depends what you mean by the "auto detect" process.

If you are referring to in-kernel auto-detect triggered by the 0xFD partition
type, then just don't use that.  You cannot control the order in which arrays
are assembled.  You could swap the name md1 and md0 (Which isn't too hard
using --assemble --update=super-minor) but it probably wouldn't make any
change to behaviour.

Get disable in-kernel autodetect and let mdadm assemble the arrays for you.
It has a much better chance of getting it right.

NeilBrown