Re: raid10,f2 Add a Controller: Which drives to move?

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 11:23:54 +0200
Keld Simonsen <keld@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am not sure it has been said, but for a 4 disk raid10,f2 array
> you should place the first and the second disk on one controller, and then the 3rd
> and 4th on the second controller. Then you would have a copy of all blocks even
> if one controller fails.

Uhmm... no.

Disk:   1    2    3    4
blocks  a    b    c    d
        e    f    g    h
        d    a    b    c
        h    e    f    g

If you only have first and second, then block c is missing.
You want 1st and 3rd on one controller, 2nd and 4th on the other
Then either controller can access all blocks.

> I believe the order is defined by the order the disks are specified in
> on the mdadm --create line.

Correct.

NeilBrown